On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 11:04:16 -0500
David Wright <deb...@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> In days of yore, there was a minimum distance on coax because
> every transmission was effectively a broadcast, and had to pass a
> certain distance (≡time) before any reply would be recognised *as a
> reply* rather than the transmitter hearing itself transmitting.

I doubt that was it. A metre of coax will have a delay of 10-20ns,
which was the blink of an eye to hardware of that era. Collisions would
have been detected by abnormal levels, which is why termination of the
cable was such a big deal. Coax-based Ethernet was basically analogue
video technology. Except for, as you say, the damn' stupid 50 Ohms...

--
Joe