On 8/19/2016 8:54 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Friday 19 August 2016 13:55:39 Richard Owlett wrote:
On 8/18/2016 4:13 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Thursday 18 August 2016 20:46:14 Charlie Kravetz wrote:

On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 11:50:23 -0700

David Christensen <dpchr...@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
On 08/18/2016 06:58 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 8/17/2016 8:07 PM, David Christensen wrote:
3.  Internet modem or gateway.

3. N/A

So, the laptops are not connected to the Internet?  How do you access
the Internet to post and read this list, download Debian ISO's, etc.?

David

Why do they have to be connected to the Internet? I have four computers
here. Three are not connected, one is.

So one of Richard's two has to be connected.

Not really ;)
As I had said in last paragraph of
https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2016/08/msg00609.html :
"Why would I be interested in ssh as both machines are sitting on
my desk and _neither_ will be connected to the internet when
ethernet connection is live?"

The sole purpose of the Ethernet connection is to avoid
sneakernet when transferring small preseed.cfg and script files
from the WinXP machine to my Debian experiment.

Correction - or rather, expansion to include what was clearly inferred. ;-)

So one of Richard's two has to be connected., AT LEAST FOR SOME OF THE
TIME.  ;-)

Lisi

NO <GRIN>
I physically have two other machines on my desk which I could serve nicely to connect to the internet. Connecting either of the T43 or R61 ha NEVER been considered ;)

People keep presuming me to be normal and/or typical. Relatives gave up that idea eons ago.