On 8/18/2016 9:04 AM, Brian wrote:
On Thu 18 Aug 2016 at 08:58:23 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

On 8/17/2016 8:07 PM, David Christensen wrote:
On 08/17/2016 07:45 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
I wish to connect two laptops via Ethernet.
[snip]

It would help if you provided more information about your network and
computers:

1.  Laptop make, model, and version, CPU make and model, RAM size,
HDD/SSD size, and Ethernet speed of Windows laptop.

2.  Experimental laptop and key parameters (as above).

3.  Internet modem or gateway.

4.  Router and/or routing software.

5.  Any other devices we should know about.

6.  Distances between devices.

1. ThinkPad T43 [https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd012235]
2. ThinkPad R61 [https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd013965]
3. N/A

You presumably have a modem/router already. The Debian machine doesn't
have to use it as gateway to the internet. Set up routing for it to send
packets to the local network only.

As I had said in last paragraph of https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2016/08/msg00609.html : "Why would I be interested in ssh as both machines are sitting on my desk and _neither_ will be connected to the internet when ethernet connection is live?"