On Fri 19 Aug 2016 at 12:32:54 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 8/19/2016 9:56 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> >>As I replied to Thomas a few minutes ago:
> >>The exhaustive all inclusive description of *MY* network is "A
> >>Lenovo T43 running WinXP Pro SP3 connected by a short Ethernet
> >>cable to a Lenovo R61 running experimental configurations of
> >>Debian Jessie (Mate desktop)."
> >
> >You asked for advice, but seem only interested in informing.  If you already
> >know everything there is to know about YOUR network, why are you asking us
> >anything??
>
> I was emphasizing the topology. As stated previously the physical layer
> works. I expect that after reading _Networking for Dummies_ I'll be a lot
> closer to having machines communicate.

What does "physical layer works" mean? (That's a real question, not
a come on). Lights appear?

BTW, you seem singularly disinterested in any alternatives to your
programmed set of thought. Not that your idea is bad but it can be
realised in other ways and acknowledging them (which you implicitly
have) is all to the good. Stick with your short ethernet cable; it's
as good a method for file transfer as any other.

Somebody said that education amd retirement go together. Make the
most of it.