Harris composed on 2016-09-17 08:57 (UTC):

> I just got a new Dell laptop to replace my former one that I ran Debian on
> with no issues -- unfortunately with this one, the screen flickers when I
> have it at essentially the next-to-highest brightness setting. I say
> "essentially" because it happens in GNOME at the second-highest brightness
> level (using the keyboard up/down buttons) although in other desktops (e.g.,
> Xfce) I cannot reproduce the problem using these keys, because Xfce does not
> have such fine increments when I use the keys -- the increments are larger.
> However, I CAN reproduce the problem in Xfce (as well as in LXDE and MATE) if
> I (a) reproduce the problem in GNOME using the keys, then (b) log out and log
> into one of these other DE's without touching the brightness keys.

> It appears that this is not a problem with the hardware, as I did a test of
> reinstalling Windows 10 (which is what shipped with this laptop) and the
> problem did not appear. However, now that I've learned that the brightness
> keys produce different brightness percentages depending on the specific
> desktop environment, I can't be sure that this does not happen in Windows.

> Anyway, does anyone have any knowledge of this type of problem, and advice on
> some potential solutions?

> Here are my system specs:
> Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Series
> Intel Core i3-5005U Processor (3M Cache, 2.00 GHz)
> 4GB, 1600MHz, DDR3L memory
> Intel HD Graphics 5500
> 15.6-inch HD (1366 x 768) Truelife LED-Backlit Display
> - In GNOME Settings, the graphics is indicated as Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe
> (LLVM 3.5, 256 bits)

> I'm running Jessie 8.5.

> Thanks very much in advance!

Give a driver switch a try:

# apt-get purge xserver-xorg-video-intel
# apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-modesetting

restart Xserver.

Next time, include output from 'lspci -v'.

Forgot to mention originally why:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ubuntu-Debian-Abandon-Intel-DDX

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/