Harris composed on 2016-09-17 08:57 (UTC):

I just got a new Dell laptop to replace my former one that I ran Debian on with no issues
-- unfortunately with this one, the screen flickers when I have it at essentially the
next-to-highest brightness setting. I say "essentially" because it happens in
GNOME at the second-highest brightness level (using the keyboard up/down buttons)
although in other desktops (e.g., Xfce) I cannot reproduce the problem using these keys,
because Xfce does not have such fine increments when I use the keys -- the increments are
larger. However, I CAN reproduce the problem in Xfce (as well as in LXDE and MATE) if I
(a) reproduce the problem in GNOME using the keys, then (b) log out and log into one of
these other DE's without touching the brightness keys.

It appears that this is not a problem with the hardware, as I did a test of
reinstalling Windows 10 (which is what shipped with this laptop) and the
problem did not appear. However, now that I've learned that the brightness keys
produce different brightness percentages depending on the specific desktop
environment, I can't be sure that this does not happen in Windows.

Anyway, does anyone have any knowledge of this type of problem, and advice on
some potential solutions?

Here are my system specs:
Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Series
Intel Core i3-5005U Processor (3M Cache, 2.00 GHz)
4GB, 1600MHz, DDR3L memory
Intel HD Graphics 5500
15.6-inch HD (1366 x 768) Truelife LED-Backlit Display
- In GNOME Settings, the graphics is indicated as Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM
3.5, 256 bits)

I'm running Jessie 8.5.

Thanks very much in advance!

Give a driver switch a try:

# apt-get purge xserver-xorg-video-intel
# apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-modesetting

restart Xserver.

Next time, include output from 'lspci -v'.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/