On Tue 20 Sep 2016 at 15:08:58 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Mon 19 Sep 2016 at 22:41:23 -0500, David Wright wrote:
>
> > On Sun 18 Sep 2016 at 16:14:37 (-0400), Haines Brown wrote:
> > > I've begun to experience problems using the mouse to select a passage in
> > > a PDF displayed with xpdf 3.03-10 in order to paste it elsewhere.
> > >
> > > The ends of lines are truncated to varying degrees. For example in a
> > > PDF with this:
> > >
> > >   123456789
> > >   123456789
> > >   1234567
> > >
> > > The past might look like
> > >
> > >   12345678
> > >   1234567
> > >   123456
> >
> > Can you confirm that dragging your mouse produces a black rectangle,
> > and that the rectangle has the last digits (the ones that get lost)
> > highlighted thus.
>
> Could be a possible cause. My mouse skills aren't brilliant and not
> precisely positioning the rectangle has often lead to my having to redo
> the copying.

The OP appears to have totally lost interest in his own question and the
reponses to it but the ins and outs of copying from a PDF get more
intriguing.

I own up to being quite cavalier in dragging the mouse to produce a
black rectangle to be copied. The positioning of *all* sides of the
rectangle in mupdf seems somewhat critical, however.

I have a PDF which on the screen displays

  If You Hear <symbol for a musical quaver note>
  <symbol for a musical quaver note>  means that the command you have entered
has been recognised as being valid (correct),
  i.e. you entered # 0 *

If I postition the black rectangle to just about cover what is on the
screen (or a little bit less at top and bottom) the text copies as

  If You Hear e
  e means that the command you have entered has been recognised as being valid
(correct),
  i.e. you entered # 0 ..

(The font for the musical note is embedded in the PDF but has no
ToUnicode map. It comes up as "e").

If the lower boundary is a smidgeon (5 or so pixels) down it picks up
the following line too. That, of course, doesn't explain the OP's
observation but it does not appear we are going to progress beyond that
initial post.

  If You Hear e
  e means that the command you have entered has been recognised as being valid
(correct),
  i.e. you entered # 0 ..
  If You Hear ee

("ee" is two quavers).

The line by line selection by evince appears to be less error-prone in
terms of text copying.

Probably nothing to do with the OP's issue but merely an indication of
another user's experience. All very inconsequential and probably of no
importance but it passes the time as the nights draw in.

--
Brian.