On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 10:46:07PM -0700, Seeker wrote:
> It's possible that something changed with gdm3 after I stopped using it,
> or that it's been long enough I just don't remember, but I don't
> remember any of these in recent years using the .xsession file if you
> use a session other than the default session.

OK, good.  That matches what the debian-reference documentation says,
and what I wrote on the wiki.

I also have this file, from back in my experimenting-with-gdm days:

titan:~$ ls -l .gnomerc
-rw-r--r-- 1 greg greg 36 Jun 28  2002 .gnomerc
titan:~$ cat .gnomerc
[ -f ~/.xsession ] && . ~/.xsession

So that might be why my ~/.xsession was being read -- because it was
dotted in from ~/.gnomerc, which was read by either gdm or whatever
gdm executed.

It was 14 years ago, so I don't remember every detail.