On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 03:15:54PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> Ok, let's go along with ~/.xsessionrc being the simplest way for a user
> to configure his X session. I'll follow the advice on the wiki and have
>
>   PATH=~/bin:$PATH
>   xterm &
>   iceweasel &
>   exec fvwm

No, this is not what I advised.  You don't start a window manager from
this file.

> Putting 'exec fvwm' in ~/.xsession is the solution, of course; it's your
> best friend, so may as well put everything else there. What price this
> upstart ~/.xsessionrc? Does it ever get anything right? The only thing
> it is good for is getting round restrictions set by the administrator.

You are not a beginner.  You're advanced.

A beginner would just install *one* window manager, and this
would be executed automatically by the Debian X session (via the
/usr/bin/x-window-manager symlink ultimately).  (S)he would use
a ~/.xsessionrc file only to set the PATH variable, or JAVA_HOME, or
whatever the original question is.

You don't need a ~/.xsession file until you get to the point where
you want to install multiple WMs at the same time and choose among
them.  And even then, at that point, many beginners will still prefer
update-alternatives (as root) over editing a ~/.xsession file in their
own home directory.  This may shock you, since you have a strong
Linux or Unix background, but I see it all the time.  These are the
same people who think putting a colored PS1 prompt in /etc/bash.bashrc
is a Really Awesome Idea.