Hello Teemu,

> > rsync, whilst an awesome piece of software, is not, on its own, a
> > backup system.
>
> Yes. With some scripting I think "rsync" with "--link-dest" is quite
> ideal for incremental backups. Unchanged files are created as hard links
> for the previous backup files. Every backup generation is just a normal
> and complete file system tree.

I haven't followed this thread closely, but:

To everybody who ponders using rsync for backup, I strongly suggest a
closer look at "dirvish". I'm using it to backup servers, laptops,
raspberries. It is not hard to configure, uses rsync with hard links
for "incremental" backups and keeps older versions of the backups.

--
Markus Grunwald

Fragen zur Mail? http://www.the-grue.de/mail_und_co
http://www.the-grue.de/~markus/markus_grunwald.gpg