Hans Kraus composed on 2016-10-02 17:59 (UTC+0200):

I upgraded my Debian server about a week ago from Wheezy to Jessie.
After that the GUI stopped, I see only  the grey screen with the sad
computer telling me " Oh no, Something is Wrong" and the only option is
to log out.

I'm using Gnome as my desktop. I installed the package again with:
apt-get install task-gnome-desktop
I did not get any error message, but that didn't cure my problem.

Afterwards I tried: "dpkg --configure -a". Again, I didn't get any
error message but  that didn't cure my problem.

I rebooted the system several times but with no avail.

Which info should I provide and/or where should I check my system for
errors? The text based login via ssh (I use Putty from Win 8.1)
functions without problems.

        From https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Installation

"If you are doing a distribution upgrade, you should at the very least remove all the nvidia packages from wheezy, get your desktop working with nouveau, then reinstall the nvidia packages if there is a pressing reason."

So, clearly, distribution upgrading provides booby traps for the unwary upgrader. There's no similar mention on the corresponding AMD page for upgrading from Wheezy to Jessie. However, there was this warning from
https://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary :

"Debian 8 "Jessie"

AMD Catalyst 14.9

For support of Radeon R9 200, Radeon R7 200, Radeon HD 8000, Radeon HD 7000, Radeon HD 6000 and Radeon HD 5000 series GPUs (supported devices).

<!> This driver is incompatible with the GNOME desktop, as it does not support the EGL interface. It is recommended to use the free radeon driver instead. "

So clearly, if you wish to continue with Gnome, you need to purge all traces of fglrx from your system before you can expect any FOSS AMD driver to function with Gnome. Once that is done, an AMD driver should work automatically with your Turks XT 7670 gfxchip. If it doesn't, then you might consider to purge xserver-xorg-video-ati and xserver-xorg-video-radeon, and install xserver-xorg-video-modesetting (if it isn't already), which should result in modesetting driver use automatically. It's built directly into the server in Testing and Unstable. This suggests why to use modesetting:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ubuntu-Debian-Abandon-Intel-DDX

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/