Hi list members,

I'm currently running Debian on a custom built desktop, and am looking to
get, as a little
something to complete the rig to desired specs, a sound card. Yes, I know
the spiel...
"Who needs a sound card in 2016?", or, "But onboard audio...!" My reason is
for audio
processing: I need a separate device with a little more dedicated "oomph".

But I digress. I've been carefully researching cards, trying to find a
solution that, in essence,
translates to one of the following:

1) Drop the card in and either there's kernel support
2) A kernel module is available
3) ALSA and/or Pulseaudio will see it and pick up on it

My rig is running sid with the 4.7.0-1-amd64 kernel. I do have non-free
repos enabled;
I did so to get proper Nvidia drivers for my graphics card. So I am
flexible enough
to accept non-free if, and only if, there's no other really good solution.

The cards I narrowed down to include the Creative Labs Z series (which,
are emu10k cores that are listed on the ALSA wiki as supported), or the Asus
Xonar Essence cards (which I have read as having kernel support). However, I
may take the Z series cards, as they're more within my budget.

So my question now is this: has anyone tried out a Creative Z series sound
in their rig, and if so, what is it like setting it up to work properly
with Debian?

Many thanks,

Nobody's ever lost in life...they're merely taking the scenic route.
Version: 3.1.2
GCS/S/M/MU d- s+: a37 C++(+++) UL++++>$ P++ L+++ E+ W+ N+ o+ K++ w--- O-
M !V PS+ PE Y+ PGP(+) t+ 5++ X++ R tv b+++ DI+++ D++(---) G++ e+ h-
r++ y+