On Sat 19 Nov 2016 at 16:14:45 -0500, Jape Person wrote:

> On 11/19/2016 02:47 PM, Brian wrote:
> >
> >You have this one definite requirement and will have to firm up what
> >else you definitely want. I'll mention the HP OfficeJet Pro 8720
> >All-in-One Printer. It is relatively inexpensive, deals in PCL 3 and
> >has AirPrint. An interesting aspect of it is that it is claimed to be
> >an IPP Everywhere printer, meaning you need no drivers on the machine
> >you are printing from. But it is an inkjet.
> >
> Yes, thanks. I suppose I'll just have to go with an MFP that uses inkjet
> instead of laser. It think it's curious that you can get a single function
> Color LaserJet from HP that doesn't require the driver plugin. You can get
> an OfficePro MFP which doesn't require the driver plugin. But you can't get
> a single function scanner which doesn't require the driver plugin.
>
> I wanted a laser printer. I wanted a scanner. I didn't want an inkjet or the
> driver plugin. There currently seems to be no way to accomplish this exact
> set of specs. The closest I can come, I guess, is to buy a laser printer and
> an inkjet MFP and just not use the inkjet printer portion of the MFP.
>
> Your suggestion of the 8720 or one of its close relatives is probably the
> best I can do with HP. I appreciate your help on this, Brian.

So, in the end, you went for a Brother MFC-9340CDW. Looks a nice machine
but as was said in a previous mail of mine (resent to the list due to
feline frollicking) this doesn't get you off square one if you use the
Brother printer drivers. Ok, there are PCL6 and PostScript emulations on
the device so a generic PPD (missing access to some of the printer's
functionality) could be used. At about 350 GBP for the device though,
I'd want my money's worth.

Now for the good news. Your printer does AirPrint. An AirPrint printer
has to accept data in the Apple Raster Format (URF) and CUPS 2.2.2 has
support for sending Apple Raster to a printer. cups-browsed 1.12.0 has
adjusted its CreateIPPPrinterQueues directive to take account of this:

http://bzr.linuxfoundation.org/loggerhead/openprinting/cups-filters/annotate/head:/utils/cups-browsed.conf.5

Problem also solved for any HP AirPrint capable machines which uses a
plugin.

--
Brian.