On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 08:14:52PM -0700, ray wrote:
> I would like to find a way to keep track of changes I make to my system.  It
> seem that I may learn from others on how they keep track of changes they make
> to their systems.
>
> When I make changes, I don't remember where I made changes or why.
>
> It would be great to have a log of what changes I've made, where they were
> made, how they were made (direct edit, scripted, etc.), why I made them,
> references that I used to determine the change, and what was the outcome.

For a single system, etckeeper is an excellent choice. It stores
changes anywhere in /etc (and optionally in other places) in
git or subversion.

You can go a little farther easily by learning git directly.
https://try.github.io/levels/1/challenges/1  is a good resource.

If you have multiple systems that need to be handled in similar
ways, you want to learn an advanced configuration management
system like chef, puppet, ansible, salt...

-dsr-