On Sat, 26 Aug 2017 06:02:07 -0700 (PDT)
ray <r...@aarden.us> wrote:

> Thank you for the list of solutions.  It is interesting that SVN can
> be used with etckeeper.  It looks like I should learn git.  I have
> used SVN for other things, but I am easily pulled from my comfort
> zone for value.

Git is very widely used, and on important projects, so it is being
vigorously maintained. It's probably the right choice for new projects.

> There is an interesting challenge here on where/how to keep
> repositories on a laptop.  It is valuable to have them locally as
> often my problems are networking; if the repositories are local, I
> can use another box to view them, but sometimes it may be a challenge
> to move files when connectivity is lost.  I am sure there is an
> architecture that will be suitable.

Git creates a repository (by default) within the directory you base it
on, so copying the directory copies the repository. Git, both
command-line and GUI, exists for *nix and Windows, and a repository can
be operated from either. A backup of /etc to a USB stick, containing a
git repository, can be opened by git on another machine, and another
platform. I actually use git mostly on Windows, and mostly for its
'intended' use with software, though I also use it to track circuit
diagrams and PCB layouts under construction.

--
Joe