On 2018-02-05 at 08:11, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> On 2018-02-05 01:53:02 +1300, Richard Hector wrote:
>
>> On 05/02/18 01:44, Nicolas George wrote:

>>> Done this once, but I cannot promise I will think of it later.
>>> Document your preference in your mail mail header, the standard
>>> way, so that it is automatic and works for everybody, just like I
>>> did. Too bad the list software is not properly configured to do
>>> that automatically.
>>
>> My preference is for any personal replies addressed to me to go to
>> me, and I'd use the Reply-to header (as intended) if I needed it to
>> go somewhere else. But replies to the list should go to the list
>> (only) (unless otherwise requested), as per list policy.
>
> You should set up a "Mail-Followup-To:" for that. This is entirely
> your problem.

That does seem to be the trend and position of the world, especially in
recent years, but I disagree as a matter of philosophy.

A mailing list whose subscribers can post to it is a discussion forum.

Replies to a message which was posted to a discussion forum should, by
default, go back to that forum. If the poster wants the replies to go
somewhere else, it is that poster's responsibility to indicate this
fact, whether by message headers, signature comments, explicit
statements in the body of the message, or some other means.

This is just as true of offline fora as of online ones.

Usenet got this right, IMO, and so did all the mailing lists I remember
participating in back before Web fora became a vaguely-viable thing. I
consider it a sad thing that the precedent established there seems to
have been abandoned since that time.

--
   The Wanderer