On 03/03/2018 00:55, Liam O'Toole wrote:
On 2018-03-02, Bernard <bdebr...@teaser.fr> wrote:

On 2018-03-02, Bernard <bdebr...@teaser.fr> wrote:
Hi !

You can create your own icons by drag-and-drop, copy-and-paste, or by
creating files in your ~/Desktop directory.

It works this way on my old desktop running Debian Lenny and Gnome 2.22
also on my laptop on Ubuntu 14.04..

Strange. It works for me (as they say) with GNOME 3.22 on Stretch. I
also tried it with the same GNOME version on CentOS 7, also with
success.

I surely can have text files or pdf files
that will launch either Libreoffice or evince...

Have you tried a simple

        cp /usr/share/applications/evince.desktop Desktop/

I just tried it : it works ! Since it did not work the way it did with Gnome 2, I had not even tried this before !

The first time I click onto the icon, it says that this new launcher is not reliable though... However it works and, after the first launch, the name changes and you no longer have any warnings.

In the end, I think that I will use it as is, and not bother testing 'mate' nor the 'nemo' fork for Nautilus

Thanks for your help

Bernard

?

and I could possibly put there a few sim links to apps, but this is
far from being quick and easy as it used to be with gnome 2

Agreed.