Hi.

On Sun, Jul 15, 2018 at 02:33:02PM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> > > What is your suggestion here? Apply the patch I provided (or maybe a
> > > better one), or get rid of lsb-base completely?
> >
> > Aim to ditch lsb-base in the long run.
> > For here and now I'd used something like 'pgrep -x --ns 1
> > $DAEMON_EXECUTABLE' instead of pidof.
>
> I didn't know what "lsb-base" was when I read original post.
> Not sure I know now ;/
> Did web search. Found it's an acronym for "Linux Standard Base".

In the context of the original discussion, LSB refers to
/lib/lsb/init-functions provided by lsb-base package.

> Searched.
> Found its purpose was to provide outside programmers a "sane" &/or
> "consistent" target.

LSB was more than that. It was a set of standards declaring what you can
find in your typical GNU/Linux system.
LSB was always somewhat controversial when one tried to apply it to any
non-rpm distribution (LSB mandated rpm as package manager), personal
tastes (LSB mandated both Qt and GTK+ installed) or a common sense
(not every server needs CUPS contrary to what they think).
What's true - one does not need LSB if one writes free software. LSB was
designed for all those proprietary software vendors in mind.

But, they invented Docker, Flatpack and Appimage since then, so LSB is
dead, and good riddance.

> Is it of any use to Debian _users_ who *ONLY* use official Debian
> repositories?

Assuming that said users do not deviate from the Debian default init
system - lsb-base is mostly useless if one's using systemd.
Again, in the context of the original question.

> I know that is a "loaded" question".
> Answers should be "food for thought."
>
> IOW Can I a Debian user opt to not install "LSB" without ill effects?

The package has 'Priority: required', so I suppose that one *could*
build a bootable Debian installation without it given a sufficient
determination or curiosity.

I, for one, value rsync, smartmontools and rsyslod too much to purge
lsb-base. And let's not forget cron. Any OS is imperfect unless it has
cron.

Reco