On 2018-07-21 13:00, john doe wrote:
On 2018-07-21 09:39, john doe wrote:

my interfaces file is identical and apache starts OK so it is probably something else.
in /lib/systemd/system/apache2.target

do you have the "after" bit

       1 [Unit]
       2 Description=The Apache HTTP Server
       3 After=network.target remote-fs.target nss-lookup.target

Or looking if "NetworkManager-wait-online.service" is enabled.
For systemd-networkd that is : "systemd-networkd-wait-online.service".

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/NetworkTarget/

If your '/etc/network/interfaces' file is empty with the exception of
the 'lo' interface, your interfaces are probably handled by an other
"program" and you need to determine which "program" is responsible for
your interfaces.

I'm quite cheerful as everything seems to be working but it wouldn't
hurt to find out and may assist OP.

Appologies for the confusion, I read your answer and think I could add
to it but was not in anycase directed towards you! :)

Yes, my comment was for the OP (taking into account other answers he
has sent to the list).

looking at links you posted if I was OP I would probably try adding

After=network-online.target
Wants=network-online.target

to  /lib/systemd/system/apache2.target

and see if apache starts at boot