On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 10:23:15 -0400
Dan Ritter <d...@randomstring.org> wrote:

> Throughout Jessie and Stretch, I have been running Debian without
> systemd as the init system. If systemd became installed by accident, I
> promptly removed it in favor of sysvinit.

So did I. Started with a clean, netistall, terminal only Stretch
system, converted to sysvinit, but left the systemd libraries as
dependencies.  No problems, not even during apt upgrade.  Sysvinit
remains the default init.

> I hope that this situation continues in the next iteration of Stable,
> but if not - I have investigated OpenRC and nosh, and determined to my
> own satisfaction that openrc does not offer enough benefits to be
> worth the cost of changing over, but nosh might.

Take a look at runitinit and runit (the supervisor).  I was considering
it as an improvement over sysvinit when I was looking to completely
purge systemd, but found too many Debian apps, etc. have some part of
systemd as a dependency and I'd have to jump through too many hoops to
be totally free of it with the resulting system being potentially less
stable. Something I DIDN'T want.

FYI: Testing Devuan ascii now for future consideration.  No problems so
far.  Still like runit though.  And it's easy to convert the
default sysvinit to it.