Hi,

Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Why not prefix that dd command with a sudo udevadm settle command and
> only allow the dd command to run on success case?

man udevadm says:

  udevadm settle [options]
       Watches the udev event queue, and exits if all current events are
       handled.

We have no indication yet that the udev event queue is involved.
(I'd also say that udev traditionally makes additional trouble rather than
 preventing some.)

Off topic again:
(If dd can read 33 MiB, then it is not a start-up problem.)

The known impatience of Linux with automatic tray loading can be worked
around by pulling in the tray with a burn program (eject -t falls victim
to the kernel impatience).
I use:

  xorriso -outdev /dev/sr0

before trying to read the medium by POSIX i/o like dd(1) or read(2).

Have a nice day :)

Thomas