On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 08:47:34PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Thu 15 Aug 2019 at 21:05:10 +0200, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 07:41:06PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> >
> > > I wouldn't try to dissuade anyone from using last century's
> > > technology
> > > if they have their heart set on it [...]
> >
> > C'mon. You /know/ you're talking nonsense. Old is old, and new is
> > new.
> > Beyond that...
> >
> > BTW I still use TeX, so... 1980s. Works a charm, too.
>
> The technology I am referring to (as I think you very well know) is
> the printing system. No more, no less.

Which is last century by itself.

> Nowadays that system often relies on printer/print queue Bonjour
> broadcasts.

And that is called "jumping to conclusions".
Printing itself haven't changed a bit for last 15 years - a print server
takes user's PS or PDF, mangles it to fit printer's representation (be
it PCL or something else), and feeds it to the printer. By utilizing
unicasts of course.
A user can discover a print server via mDNS multicasts (*not*
broadcasts). Or a user can be told a location of such print server.

avahi is useful for discovery of CUPS, and that's about it.

> dbus "...is redundant for typical server software" appears to deserve
> some explanation.
>
> > Use what works for you, whether old or new doesn't matter
>
> "old" doesn't work for modern printing systems.

Of course it does.

Reco