On Sat 17 Aug 2019 at 12:59:16 +0300, Reco wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 11:23:48PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> >
> > ipptool depends on libcups2.
>
> Which does not make it require CUPS on the other side - [2].
> And note - a conventional RFC1918 IP is used there. No "discovery"
> involved.

Anything from Kurt Pfeifle is always a worthwhile read.

> > DNS-SD/Bonjour not scaling on typical multi-segment networks is a
> > recognised issue by CUPS upstream.
>
> An interesting example of corporate doublespeak, but it does not change
> what I wrote - you need multicasts working - you put both sender and
> receiver in a single network segment.
> And that's bad for security, and is so last century.

I don't think the principal upstream CUPS developer is given to
speaking with a forked tongue or pulling the wool over people's
eyes,

> > Anyway, the secretary has knocked off and I am left to instruct my VIP
> > how to use his Android phone to type the printer location without a
> > mistype:
> >
> >  dnssd://ENVY4500._ipp._tcp.local/?uuid=1c852a4d-b800-1f08-abcd-308d99fafac2
>
> You overcomplicate things without the need.

Neither myself nor my VIP know what we are doing. We just wish the
sysadmin had had the commensense to set up printing so a tap on a
queue/printer name would have sufficed.

> ipp://<ur_printer> is all you need.

Eventually we hit on ipp://<IP_address>/<resource>. The resource name
format depends on whether a queue or printer is being printed to.

--
Brian.