On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 at 12:39, local10 <loca...@tutanota.com> wrote:
> Sep 27, 2019, 20:08 by bouncingc...@gmail.com:
> >
> > In such a case, I think that it is not possible to repair this filesystem.
>
> What I find weird about this that the filesystem (it's a root filesystem)
> appears to be fully functional, it boots without issues and generally
> everything seems to work fine, the only indication of a problem  I see in the
> SMART log. Would be nice if there a was a way to just repair it, without
> reinstalling everything.

I would not trust that filesystem at all.
I would trust what SMART is telling you and fix it ASAP.

Because you don't know where in your directory tree that error
is lurking. You might never touch it in years, or you might
suddenly one day lose access to hundreds of files. Which may
or may not be important to you.

I don't live in a world where I run everything off one partition,
so to me doing that seems incredibly risky, even without any
disk error messages :)

I always have several fallback bootable partions on every
machine I use, and all my data lives on other partitions and
is synced between several machines as well. Not doing that
seems very risky, so I recommend learning some kind of strategy
that you don't find yourself in the situation where these kind
of issues risk losing data. To me, recreating a filesystem is
simple, because I have backups everywhere, and so I'm never
scared of failures or screw ups.

In your situation, I would:
1) backup everything important ASAP.
and (assuming your init is systemd):
2) read here
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/05/how-to-force-fsck-filesystem.html
3) do something like a one-off use of
  fsck.mode=force
by manually adding that to your boot one time

It is possible that fsck might be able to repair it,
but I would be surprised. If you try it, let us know
how it goes. Be sure to backup anything important
before you try it.