On 10/28/19, tony van der Hoff <li...@vanderhoff.org> wrote:
> On 28/10/2019 09:47, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>>
>> You might like the package localepurge
>>
>> Please read the warning in the package description carefully, though.
>
> Thanks for your swift reply, Jonas. I didn't try your suggestion,
> because in the meantime I decided that after many upgrades, the system
> was in such a messy state, that it would benefit from a full reload.
>
> So, I set about installing it from the latest netinst .iso image, which
> went quite smoothly.
>
> Sadly, on reboot, I get the error:
> file /grub/i386-pc/normal.mod not found.
> Entering rescue mode...
>
> Now what to do?

Hi, Tony.. I may or may not have stumbled upon a direct answer. Am
primarily chiming in basically with a "me, too" but on a different,
still Debian based distribution.

Have been having ALL KINDS of hardware/software issues lately. Some of
that has kicked me to the GRUB prompt interface instead of booting.
When I go through the insmod/set root, yada-yada process, that
Debian-based distro says the same thing. The "normal" module is not
found... over and over and over.

And yet I can do "ls" on the /boot/grub/i386-pc directory and SEE that
module flash by with all of the others.

And, yes, I'm using the correct commands that worked for other
distros... only hours before.

Your thread reminded me that my own to-do was to research this very
topic so I just did. Without visiting any websites, I'm seeing a
couple suggestions that we should specifically install GRUB2.

Having just done a couple more debootstraps in the weeks prior to my
own mishaps here, I remember seeing something of GRUB2 get dragged in
as a dependency of grub-pc. Just checked my notes I take about just
this kind of thing, and, yup, grub-pc brings grub2-common along with..
but *only* that one GRUB2 package.

In a way, that sounds hopeful so I'll try this later myself. If all
else fails *in my case*, a purge and reinstall is a safe possibility.
Am already locked out of that partition so that negates the usual
panic over getting locked out should the electricity fail before GRUB
can be reinstalled on that partition, GRIN.

It will take going into chroot to try GRUB2 in my own case. If it
works, I'll share again.

Good luck with your own instance.. :)

Cindy :)
--