On 31/1/20 5:21 am, Patrick Bartek wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 18:29:06 +1100
Keith Bainbridge <ke1th3...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 29/1/20 6:02 am, Patrick Bartek wrote:
My point is that sudo is more of a security "hole" since it only
requires a user's password which in my experience are less secure since
most users create short, easy to remember ones.

Which is why I suggested you tell sudo to require root password.

How is that any different from just using su -c and not even
implementing sudo at all?

Good afternoon

I found setting su -c aliases frustratingly difficult. Mainly connected with connecting strings of commands such as apt update && apt upgrade I have an alias for su -c ' for when I wanted a rarely used command, but more often than not I forgot to type the closing' - further frustration.

Aliases for sudo commands are simpler to write, somehow.

I was also entering root password several times more often than I needed with sudo. my old RSI was complaining.

Only root can use sudo. I need the password lass often, and it is not remembered in other terminal sessions, other than the one I use it.

If I am broken into, the burglar needs root password as well as my user password to get to my back-ups etc. My user password got 'very strong' ratings on installations that rate them. Root must be at least one level stronger.

Open source is about choices. I'll be crying severely if I have chosen wrong in this case.

--
Keith Bainbridge

keith.bainbridge.3...@gmail.com
0447 667 468