Miguel A. Vallejo wrote:

> For every problem I had / have with Intel GPU I can find other users
> on any distribution's bug tracker with exactly the very same errors in
> the kernel log, so I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one suffering from
> Intel GPUs. In fact I am surprised by the small number of people here
> with that problem.

perhaps it is the way your system is set up. Indeed like 10y ago Intel did
some sh*t and sold it bundled to outcome AMD and NVidea, but since then
they improved and indeed there were issues back then.

I think it is important to find the appropriate kernel version for your
system - the one that has all the bits and bolts for your hardware. I doubt
I will move to newer kernel. This one seems to have all the fixes at least
for the hardware I am using now and especially the gpu part. I also had
freezes few years ago and followed the kernel releases until 4.9.25.

I also have
        cat /etc/modprobe.d/i915-kms.conf
        options i915 modeset=1

> But it's true there are some programs that are very prone to hang the
> GPU when used, like Chrome, Chromium, Firefox, Google Earth, KDE's
> taskbar, Virtualbox... all of them use some kind of 3D acceleration

well ... depends also on the middle layer, but I use TDE and even VM with 3D
enabled does not cause freezes such that I had from time to time few years
ago.