On 3/16/20 9:50 AM, Andrii Borovyi wrote:
Once again I though about getting a dock station for my Dell Vostro 3360. Seems like there is no easy solution there. The only thing I discovered is to switch to Latitude or XPS models (sorry, but no Inspiron nor Vostro) that have support for docking stations. Unfortunately, that's the only result of my research I came to. Maybe with newer DELL's the situation is easier, but it's hard to say for sure.

Kind regards,
Andrii

--- Оригінальне повідомлення ---
Від кого: rhkra...@gmail.com
Дата: 16 березня 2020, 14:42:50

    Asking this OT question here because this is my go to list for questions,
    especially ones for which I don't belong to a list that might be more
specific
    to this subject.

    Background: I've installed Buster on an old laptop (my newest laptop, a Dell
    Inspiron 1501) and I'm working on installing other software (gcc+, make,
git,
    Python and such) so that I can take the laptop to various meetings where I
    hope to get help on some software I'm trying to write (in C/C++ and Python).

    I'm thinking about buying a laptop docking station to make it easier to
    disconnect the laptop to take it to meetings.

    I don't know much about a laptop docking station except that the ones I've
    looked at seem to need only a USB (C or A) cable to connect the laptop to
the
    docking station.  (I'm about 90% sure that the Inspiron1501  does not have a
    USB-C port.)

    (Aside: I need to get a docking station with a VGA output as I "run" the
    laptop through a KVM switch and one of the computers connected to it has no
    HDMI output, and the KVM switch itself has no HDMI input.)

    I get the idea (or I am jumping to the conclusion?) that there is some
    hardware in the docking station (like graphics and audio chips) which I'm
    assuming would need to be supported by Buster.

    Is that correct?

    Any recommendations for a suitable docking station?

Take a look at the WAVLINK USB 3.0 Universal Docking Station (Rev 3). It has a disc for win drivers, but also has support for mac and linux. The linux drivers are community supplied, but do say that they are well supported. I'm considering this one for myself. At the moment, I'm setting up a win box for my gf using it, just to see how it behaves.If it works as advertised, I'll do a little more digging into the community drivers and then grab a second one and give it a go on one of my older laptops running Debian...