On 2020-03-22 17:37, rhkra...@gmail.com wrote:
Thanks to all who replied, to either this thread or my other related one,
"Speed of USB ports on Inspiron 1501".

In that other thread, I point out that I decided to buy a Wavlink 3.0 docking
station (with HDMI, DVI, and VGA video outputs) (on sale today at Newegg) and
a dual USB 3.0 ExpressCard on ebay (for under $10).

Thanks to Dave Christensen for pointing out the throughput I'd need for VGA
1080p (187 MB/s at 30 fps) -- I'm hoping that won't really be a problem as I
don't plan to use graphic intensive applications on the laptop, although I'm
not sure whether it will be a problem -- I'll be using things like kate,
kmail, and then command line stuff to work on some programs.

The 187 MB/s is a worst-case scenario for FHD video -- decode on the CPU and send uncompressed frames over USB 3.0 to the video RAM in the docking station. Hopefully Debian, Linux, Xorg, whatever, have the architecture and drivers to offload the CPU/GPU cycles and RAM requirements to the docking station, and it all works on your laptop. If so, the results could be pleasing.

David