On 23/03/2020 23:20, Patrick Bartek wrote:
On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 15:15:14 +0000
Michael Howard <m...@dewberryfields.co.uk> wrote:

On 23/03/2020 14:28, Patrick Bartek wrote:
On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 08:37:47 -0400
Jude DaShiell <jdash...@panix.com> wrote:
There is devuan-ascii 2.x but I don't know its equivalent to buster.
That system maintained sysv and still has support.
ASCII is Stretch without systemd or any of the dependencies.  Devuan
hasn't release its "Buster" version yet.

It can be upgraded to 'beowulf' using apt of course.
I did that some months ago with Ascii running in Virtualbox.  And it did
work, but there were enough problems then that it wasn't suitable
for general use -- just evaluation. Perhaps there have been
improvements since then, but I'll wait for Beowulf to be officially
released before checking it out again.  Currently, I'll stick with
Stretch running sysvinit until long term support for ceases.

I guess it depends exactly what is installed but I have upgraded
via this route a number of times.

--
Michael Howard