Thanks a lot for this reply

The output of the proposed tests are shown on the following screen picture :

http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0906.jpg

As for partition sda2 : I don't remember having created this partition when installing Stretch on this then newly bought desktop (2 years ago). Isn'it funny that it shows the exact same size as that of the swap partition sda5 ?

I doubt that I would have willingly created such a small partition... maybe the install program created it...

Whether it did exist or not in my working system, one thing remains :

    on the rescue mode, I cannot find my /home directory

Waiting for your advice and recommendations,

Bernard

Please post the output of following commands from the rescue console.