Chris Rhodin wrote:

> Tonight I'll look at the serial port ioctls and see if I can spot a
> difference there.  I also try enabling flow control and fiddling with the
> signals to see if that unstops it.

Are you sure that this is enabled in the BIOS, also some serial ports like
HP have special connectors and layouts.
Best would be to look at the manual first.

I have attached a USB to the server. From there I can log in to the
firewall. I can not use the same port in the opposite direction.

However it is strange that you do get the connection only in one direction.
It could be some kind of special connector

Otherwise I used those to enable the service

https://wiki.debian.org/systemd#Virtual_and_serial_console_changes

https://www.thegeekdiary.com/centos-rhel-7-how-to-configure-serial-getty-with-systemd/
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Working_with_the_serial_console