I figured it out.  It was user error.  When I diff'd the output of "stty"
from my laptop and server I saw the server had "-crtscts" and laptop had
"crtscts".  It turns out minicom enables hardware flow control by default
and I had changed that default on my laptop somewhere in the past (at least
3 releases of Debain ago).  I thought I had checked this on the server but
either I didn't or I just missed it.  Changing this in minicom made it work.

Chris