Victor Sudakov wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> A production system, especially a desktop system, tends to accumulate
> unnecessary packages. Users install software for testing, then forget
> about it, or it falls into disuse...
>
> In FreeBSD, you can always run "pkg delete -a" and return to the
> post-install state (well, almost). This command will remove all the
> third-party packages added to the base system after installation
> (modified files under /usr/local/ will remain).
>
> What's the procedure for Debian?

  i don't think there is any one procedure as there are so
many different requirements that people can have and the
size of the installation may be quite different.

  when someone specifies a production system to me that means
they are likely running stable and not testing or unstable.

  you can find some information about what packages and
versions in /var/log/install and /var/log/apt if you've kept
those files.

  if as time has been long enough there may be updates from
the initial installed versions so i don't think you can always
count on downgrading to work for those.

  if you desire a specific image of a system to always be able
to boot and work then there would have to be some other way
to do that IMO.  i have not yet used timeshift as my backup
and recovery needs are not that great (instead i keep other
bootable versions available including one on a USB stick).

  there are other partition copying utilties and schemes that
can be used, but i've not had to mess with them recently enough.
a long time ago i was using partclone which did what i needed
it to do.

  songbird