On 05/30/2020 04:05 PM, David Wright wrote:
On Sat 30 May 2020 at 10:08:41 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
On 05/30/2020 09:50 AM, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 04:13:22PM +0200, l0f...@tuta.io wrote:

[...]

I would suggest the following instead:

[download + unpack]

Of course, the method indicated by Tomas is great and may be easier than mine
(+ doesn't leave Debian package files on your computer).

I don't think "my" method is easier. Personally, I'd go with yours
any time (I dislike browsers) -- but I had the impression (wrongly?)
that the OP wanted a "webby" solution. But thanks for chiming in
with alternatives!

Yes. A "webby" solution can have two benefits in my environment:
   a. may minimize download downloaded byte count.
   b. following intervening links and cross references can lead to
      answering important un-asked questions.

For man pages, I type   man foo   into google. That usually throws
up one or two links from different sources.
[snip]

You missed my point entirely. I have accessed the man page via https://manpages.debian.org/ . It lacks information *CRITICAL* to whether or not to install the package. It skirts the issue by referring to a file which will exist, *if and only if*, the package has already been installed. I.E. classical infinite loop ;}