On Sun, Aug 09, 2020 at 09:59:12AM +0200, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
> To verify/falsify that, you might run xprop on your xterm window.
> The property you are looking for is called WM_NAME. You can even

xprop | grep WM_NAME
WM_NAME(STRING) = "schaefer@reliand: /home/schaefer"

> use xprop to /set/ the window property -- this way you can be sure

xprop -f WM_NAME 8s -set WM_NAME "toto"

clicking on either the titleless xterm or an emacs changes nothing (*).

NB: the xterm window title is seen on MATE's taskbar.

> whether it's xterm who is forgetting to do the right thing (that
> would be a bug to file against xterm) or it's your window manager
> ignoring it.

As I am the only one to experience this, it must be some configuration
somewhere!

> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICCCM

Thank you, definitely is an interesting reference.

(*) examples often show xprop -set WM_NAME "toto" but it does not
    work (cannot convert WM_NAME argument to STRING or COMPOUND_TEXT),
    thus the -f