On Tue 27 Oct 2020 at 15:05:36 (+0200), Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Lu, 26 oct 20, 09:55:00, John Hasler wrote:
> > Andrei writes:
> > > dpkg does its own dependency checking, in addition to APT (the
> > > software, not the command), and will prevent any inconsistencies
> > > unless you use one of the --force switches.
> >
> > What it does not do is resolve dependencies.  Apt recursively resolves
> > dependencies, installing them as required. It also detects conflicts
> > and offers to resolve them as well as breaking loops.
>
> dpkg can only work with the set of .deb files that were passed on the
> command line.
>
> If all dependencies are included (or already installed), fine, otherwise
> it will bail out as it doesn't (by design) have the capability to search
> for them in repositories and download them (if this is what you mean by
> resolving).
>
> I believe someone demonstrated quite recently on list that dpkg has some
> limits in the number and/or combination of packages it can deal with at
> once, so APT might have to pass them in smaller chunks and/or specific
> order (in case of Pre-Depends: maybe?).
>
> > Dpkg is safe but can be rather frustrating.
>
> As far as I'm concerned it does just fine what it was designed to do.

Years ago, I used to do mega installs with dpkg, copying the contents
of /var/cache/apt/archives/ from one machine onto a caddy, and then
installing them all on another.

I'm probably the person who recently demonstrated dpkg's (in)ability
to cleanly install 1558 packages simultaneously without help:

(its References are all dead links because they fall in the previous month.)

This followed a demonstration of apt-get's reversibility:
specifying 271 "top-level" packages that resulted in 1558 being
installed altogether, and all 1558 being cleanly purged again.

Cheers,
David.