Dan Ritter <d...@randomstring.org> writes:

> Richmond wrote:
>> I installed debian on an old PC i686. I chose the mate desktop. When I
>> tried to log in throught display manager I could not, so:
>>
>> I closed X down with telinit 3
>> I logged in on the console as root
>> I ran xinit -- :0
>> I switched to a non root user in the xterm window on the display
>> I typed export DISPLAY=:0
>> I ran mate-session
>> X crashed with a segmentation fault
>>
>> The backtrace is on the console so I cannot cut and paste it. It says it
>> is in Xorg at _start+0x31
>>
>> What can I do? Perhaps use a different xserver. The display driver is
>> nouveau.
>
> I wouldn't expect that to segfault, but I also wouldn't expect
> it to work -- you did not authorize your non-root user to run in
> that X session.
>
> Try this:
>
> As your non-root user, write a .xinitrc:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> xterm &
> exec mate-session
>
> and then run
>
> startx
>
> Tell us what happens then. If it crashes, let us see your
> /etc/apt/sources.list and anything in sources.list.d/
>
> -dsr-

It crashed. The errors on the console are several fatal errors from
mate-panel, marco, mate-session, and xterm. The xorg log shows a
segmentation fault but I cannot be sure when it happened as the date is
in an inhuman format.

I'll bet it is to do with desktop effects.

Here is the sources.list. There is nothing in sources.d. I don't
understand this file because I installed from the DVD-1, and I am using an
i686. After the installation I commented out the second cdrom line
because it was prompting me when I tried to install software. The first
line was already commented out. During the installation I enabled online
repos so that it would be up to date.

====================
#

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 10.8.0 _Buster_ - Official amd64 NETINST
20210206-10:34]/ buster main

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 10.8.0 _Buster_ - Official amd64 NETINST
20210206-10:34]/ buster main

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster main contrib non-free
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster main

deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main

# buster-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster-updates main
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster-updates main

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-backports main

# This system was installed using small removable media
# (e.g. netinst, live or single CD). The matching "deb cdrom"
# entries were disabled at the end of the installation process.
# For information about how to configure apt package sources,
# see the sources.list(5) manual.