> Thanks all. I looked at my config files (which go back at least 15 years)
> and found lots of explicitly setting both LC_ALL=C and LC_LANG=C.
>
> Should I remove all, or just remove the LC_ALL?
>

> Using LC_ALL is strongly discouraged as it overrides everything. Please
use it only when testing and never set it in a startup file.
https://wiki.debian.org/Locale

It is better to set everything explicitly in "/etc/default/locale"

Even better: use
$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
it will generate all locales you need AND set the default one in this file.

There is NO reason to use anything except UTF-8 in 2021