On Dienstag, 18. Mai 2021 13:04:00 -04 hdv@gmail wrote:
> On 2021-05-18 18:37, IL Ka wrote:
> >     Thanks all. I looked at my config files (which go back at least
> >     15
> >     years) and found lots of explicitly setting both LC_ALL=C and
> >     LC_LANG=C.
> >
> >     Should I remove all, or just remove the LC_ALL?
> >  >
> >  > Using LC_ALL is strongly discouraged as it overrides everything.
> >
> > Please use it only when testing and never set it in a startup file.
> > https://wiki.debian.org/Locale <https://wiki.debian.org/Locale>
> >
> > It is better to set everything explicitly in "/etc/default/locale"
> >
> > Even better: use
> > $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
> > it will generate all locales you need AND set the default one in
> > this file.
> >
> > There is NO reason to use anything except UTF-8 in 2021
>
> Please, be aware that not all Desktop Environments (like KDE's Plasma)
> honour this setting. Often, they have their own mechanisms for
> setting the locale within the DE itself.
>
> Grx HdV

To noboy in particular:
Yes, that is so and for whatever reasons there might be, it is extremely
confusing causing frustration, despair and eventually anger.
It is especially exasperating if one works with several DE which,
contrary to the underlying distribution, also change their behaviour
once in awhile.
I used to have en_US language with German keyboard and SA-paraguaian
monetary symbols. That is an edge-case which worked fine for many years
but recently gives me trouble with KDE and also Perl.
 Cheers to everybody on the list

--
Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE