Hi again,
While your point about publicly funded efforts may be a fine one, locating those owners now presents a challenge. On the one hand companies behind solid speech synthesis, like digital equipment corporation who branded the superior dec-talk speech have themselves sold items to others. my understanding from a post on another list is that in this case Microsoft aquired nuance who owns part of Eloquence. Additionally many in most recent years end up establishing a pattern of abandonware. starting a project, only to stop it later.
That argument is the strongest against your date concerns.
In the early years, including 2002, speech synthesis was crafted with the firm understanding that more often than not this technology must serve as the eyes, ears, hands, brain, voice, or a combination of a human. It was not a toy, not created to manage a single function and the like. Perhaps the present of public funding, instead of volunteer efforts allowed well trained scientists to take part. Still the resulting quality was such that has not been managed for frankly decades. This and the pervasive nature of this particular tool in technology provided at least stateside by the rehab system makes securing eloquence quite fundamental for many in this population. Its a life fortifying tool missing in many ways, certainly missing in a default capacitor for Linux. So, not signing due to the alternative of seeking publicly funded efforts, or because you feel the date is an issue, speaking personally, is misplaced good intent.
If you do not sign, please at lease circulate.
change.org is not a fully inclusive platform meaning many with a vested interest cannot sign, or so I am told.
Karen