On Vi, 28 mai 21, 02:44:30, Stella Ashburne wrote:

> The reason is that I find it too drastic a step. I chose to disable by
> doing sudo systemctl disable unattended-upgrades. I did delete the
> package called 50unattended-upgrades (as mentioned in my original
> post.)

Installing packages on Debian is so easy that in most cases purging a
package is a very safe method to disable a specific functionality.

Removing files belonging to a package is typically frowned upon, as this
can under specific circumstances be like pulling the rug from underneath
a package (or worse, APT/dpkg).

In the case of configuration files (basically everything that is under
/etc and a few other places) it can cause unexpected or even unsafe
behaviour as the software might revert to built-in defaults that could
be wrong for your system.

Kind regards,
Andrei