Hi,

OK, here is my understanding of your situation.

unattended-upgrades is not installed by default, so you installed that package
at some point because you were interested in applying upgrades automatically.

Now, you are not interested anymore. So you have chosen to delete the
configuration file /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades and disabled the
systemd service unattended-upgrades.

Next, you have rebooted and indeed the service and configuration file have not
been loaded (see service status 'inactive' and
'APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade "0"').

I think you won't update/upgrade automatically anymore (by the way you say you
haven't noticed this behavior so far), but time will confirm.

See below some remarks.

28 mai 2021, 02:44 de rewe...@gmx.com:

>> What you call "package" is actually a simple file right?
>>
> Yes, it is a file that contains a lot of programming code or what you would
> call scripting language. The default path is /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/. I guess
> every one who installs Debian 10.9 should have it too, yourself included.

No I don't have it, it's installed with the optional package
"unattended-upgrades".

Strictly speaking, /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades is a file, not a
package.
A package is a combination of files provided for your Debian distribution.
I just wanted to make sure you didn't talk about removing the
"unattended-upgrades" package.

By the way, I think you should not have deleted that file. That's somewhat
dirty.

If you want to make a pause with a package, just stop it and disable it (or
tweak the configuration file so there is no real action processed).

If you are sure not to use some optional package, then remove or even purge it.

>> But the service is still currently running right?
>>
> I don't know how to answer your question because my knowledge of computing
> and Linux is basic/elementary.

OK, actually you can know it thanks to the command just below

>> systemctl status unattended-upgrades
>>
> Below is the result:
>
> unattended-upgrades.service - Unattended Upgrades Shutdown
>  Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/unattended-upgrades.service; disabled; ve
>  Active: inactive (dead)
>  Docs: man:unattended-upgrade(8)

OK, the service is not running.

>> Can you provide us with the following command results?
>>
>> cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10periodic
>>
> Below is the result of cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10periodic
>
> APT::Periodic::Download-Upgradeable-Packages "0";
> APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade "0";

0 means "No" here.

>> cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00aptitude
>>
> Below is the result of cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00aptitude
>
> Aptitude::Get-Root-Command "sudo:/usr/bin/sudo";
>
>> You confirm that you never ran something like the following?
>>
>> sudo apt remove unattended-upgrades
>> sudo apt purge unattended-upgrades
>>
> Yes, I confirm that I have never issued the following one of two commands,
> viz.:
>
> sudo apt remove unattended-upgrades
> sudo apt purge unattended-upgrades
>
> The reason is that I find it too drastic a step. I chose to disable by doing
> sudo systemctl disable unattended-upgrades. I did delete the package called
> 50unattended-upgrades (as mentioned in my original post.)

Understood but see my above remark.

>> What give you the next commands please?
>>
>> apt-config dump | grep -i unatt
>>
> Below is the result of apt-config dump | grep -i unatt
>
> APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade "0";
>
>> apt-config dump | grep -i APT::Periodic
>>
> Below is the result of apt-config dump | grep -i APT::Periodic
>
> APT::Periodic "";
> APT::Periodic::Download-Upgradeable-Packages "0";
> APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade "0";

Good for you ("0" again).

>> NB: Have you rebooted and observed the same behavior since your posts?
>>
> After rebooting, I have no opportunity to observe the same behavior since my
> posts because there are no software/security updates that are relevant to my
> Debian system at the time of writing this email. Based on my past experience,
> Debian only downloads software/security updates for my kernel and the
> installed packages. The installed packages on my system are minimal. I'll
> have to wait patiently for the next software/security updates for my
> installed packages.

Ok, let's wait and see then.
You can remove the package "unattended-upgrades" if you want via `sudo apt
remove` or `sudo apt purge`.

Best regards,
l0f4r0