On Vi, 28 mai 21, 20:40:23, Stella Ashburne wrote:

> Question: Instead of using "aptitude why unattended-upgrades" command,
> can I use "apt why unattended-upgrades"? I was told many years ago
> that the command "aptitude" was deprecated.

aptitude was deprecated for some very specific uses only (in particular
dist-upgrades), not because it couldn't do them, but because APT found
better solutions. It also didn't help that development of aptitude was
stopped for a while.

aptitude is currently still irreplaceable for some uses.

In this particular case, apt doesn't have a 'why' command, hence the
suggestion to use aptitude instead.

> Question: What command can I type in a terminal to find out if the
> package "unattended-upgrades" is a *dependency* of some other
> packages?

These should do it.

    apt rdepends unattended-upgrades

Read as "the reverse depends of", though it will also include other
package relationships.

    aptitude search '?depends(unattended-upgrades)'

Read as "packages that depend on". This is interpreted literally, i.e.
it won't show any other package relationship (like Recommends).

> I wish to improve my knowledge of computing. How do I disable
> autoremove? What is the command to be typed in a terminal?

APT (the software package) doesn't autoremove packages, though it might
suggest you to do that when you use the 'apt' command.

aptitude in its default configuration will do so on every occasion, so
you might want to avoid using it for package installs, removals, etc.

Kind regards,
Andrei