—Racecar backwards is racecar, racecar upside down is expensive—

—My wife can type tesseradecades while drinking a cup of tea—

On Sun 04 Jul 2021 at 15:38:45 (-0400), Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 04, 2021 at 03:34:22PM -0400, Albretch Mueller wrote:

> > > That's for Windows, isn't it.
> >
> >  Yes, but at the end of the day the written characters in a text is
> > what matters to my line of work.
>
> Some day he's going to tell us what he's trying to do, and it's going
> to turn out not only to be completely off-topic, but also the biggest
> X-Y problem of the year.
>
> If the analysis of characters inside a text file is "what matters", then
> any investigation into how various operating systems and windowing
> systems handle keyboard input is completely irrevelant.  Just read the
> files.

Earlier, the OP wrote “Xah Lee seems to be interested on the (IMO
nonsensical) "heat map" produced by typing the first chapter of
Dostoevsky's "Crime and Punishment".” I have no idea who Xah Lee is,
but heat map is the modern way of saying that you're going to contour
the frequency of keys struck during the typing of said test.

As the OP also mentioned that they used a Dvorak layout keyboard,
then it's pretty obvious that their contour map will likely be
different from someone using the standard layout.

At least on a standard keyboard, every letter key has a dedicated
finger. So when you type racecar, one finger has to move twice
to type c e c, without using any other finger in between. So
another heat map could be generated by considering finger movements
between characters.

One can make this more complex. I looked at the Dvorak wiki, and I see
that they even consider the frequency of inboard stroke flow, not a
term I had come across.

When the OP writes “at the end of the day the written characters in a
text is what matters to my line of work”, they may be attempting to
distance themselves from Xah Lee's work, described here as nonsensical.
People might have said that about Dvorak's work too. I believe the
OP's line of work is corpora research, which I assume only involves
the characters in the text, and not how they're entered into the
computer.

—Most typing is done by the left hand—

—About ten times as many words can be typed
 with only the left hand as with the right—

Cheers,
David.