On Wednesday 14 July 2021 10:40:03 Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2021-07-14 8:23 a.m., Dan Ritter wrote:
> > ellanios82 wrote:
> >>  - have heard it opined that MDs & Dentists are seldom good
> >> investors, for the reason that they are used to usually being
> >> 'Right'
> >
> > I'm not sure what this has to do with Debian, but this overlaps
> > with my professional interests.
> >
> > As far as I can tell, the reason that MDs and dentists are
> > notable as bad investors is the same reason that they are
> > notable as bad pilots: in the middle to end of their careers
> > they have lots of money and no particular life experience other
> > than their professions. They look for something that is
> > appealing on the surface, put just enough time into it to
> > convince themselves that they are going to be quite good at it
> > because they are already successful, and then crash.
>
> I can only agree with you, being MD myself. Well, I'd better say used
> to be MD. But again, that's wrong because I still got the diploma but
> ain't doing the usual job MD do.
>
> > https://generalaviationnews.com/2017/03/29/the-doctor-killer/
> >
> > Luckily, programming is a useful alternative hobby for medical
> > professionals. As long as you stay away from certain obscure
> > areas -- say, device drivers and financial software -- the
> > penalties for screwing up are much lower.
> >
> > If you like your doctor or dentist, encourage them to learn
> > Debian and get into programming rather than daytrading or
> > piloting.
>
> We maybe don't remember but if we go back 30 years or so ago, most
> people who graduated with a master in science, chemistry, physics or
> such all had to learn programming. Why ? Because they used it as a
> tool for doing research, making library of math function for analysis
> of data... My father-in-law as part of his master in geophysics used
> some Fortran to do waveform analysis, looking out for sign of
> specifics rock formation. All this produced truck load of data and he
> had to analyze it. In the early 80s, there was not many math package
> like we had today, even less that connected directly to signal
> acquisition system. So he built one with a DEC PDP-11.

Off topic reply for sure.

And that was his first mistake. As a former TV Chief Engineer I had to
deal with all the computerized systems a tv station can acquire, and the
PDP-11/23 CBS sold us for satellite dish control was by far the least
dependable I ever had to deal with. The Digital Field Engineers changed
everything in that machine but the frame rail with the serial number was
on, without any effect on the 4 or 5 times a day silent crash. So we
aired a crap load of dog food commercials when we were supposed to be
selling breakfast foods or diapers, and we don't get paid for those
mistakes. Eventually I forced CBS to replace it with an IBM based system
which ran from power outage to power outage. Affiliate system wide, on
CBS's dime.

> Today with the ease of the new software, most people will only use
> end-user software but in those days, you build your own.
> He even developed a molecule display program for the Commodore 64...

We often wrote our own software, but I almost always used a trs-80 color
computer, much easier to program in os9 or basic09. But as a learning
experiment, the first I wrote was on an 1802 based board but I was the
assembler, looking up the hex codes in the rca programmers manual. All
the board had was a hex monitor. The finished program then lived in the
KRCR control room in Redding CA for 14 years that I know of, in use many
times a day. That's a couple eons in the average broadcast facility.

> > -dsr-

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis