On Wed Jul 14 07:38:52 2021 Dan Ritter <d...@randomstring.org> wrote:

> ellanios82 wrote:
>>
>>  - have heard it opined that MDs & Dentists are seldom good
>> investors, for the reason that they are used to usually being
>> 'Right'

I've heard that surgeons can be particularly bad.

> I'm not sure what this has to do with Debian, but this overlaps
> with my professional interests.
>
> As far as I can tell, the reason that MDs and dentists are
> notable as bad investors is the same reason that they are
> notable as bad pilots: in the middle to end of their careers
> they have lots of money and no particular life experience other
> than their professions. They look for something that is
> appealing on the surface, put just enough time into it to
> convince themselves that they are going to be quite good at it
> because they are already successful, and then crash.
>
> https://generalaviationnews.com/2017/03/29/the-doctor-killer/

Ah yes, the infamous "V-tail doctor killer", adored by
birdwatchers everywhere.

Still, if you read the article to the end you'll see that
improved training is offsetting the trend.

> Luckily, programming is a useful alternative hobby for medical
> professionals. As long as you stay away from certain obscure
> areas -- say, device drivers and financial software -- the
> penalties for screwing up are much lower.

Yeah, just write another piece of glitzy crap with a shitty user
interface... you could always get a job with Microsoft, I suppose.

> If you like your doctor or dentist, encourage them to learn
> Debian and get into programming rather than daytrading or
> piloting.

Either that, or ensure that they have - or develop - enough
humility to fly safely.

As for me, I'm content to stay with my Cessna 172,
and work to keep my instrument flying skills sharp.

--
cgi...@surfnaked.ca (Charlie Gibbs)