On Wed, Jul 21, 2021, 12:27 PM Reco <recovery...@enotuniq.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 09:36:37AM -0700, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
> > "Immutable backups." Interesting concept. But how?

> OS/400 was before my time, but I have a limited experience with z/VM
> which ran at z9 mainframe about 10 years ago.

I wrote security software for z/VM's ancestors VM/XA and VM/SP. I read
years ago of trojan proof-of-concept code for the MVS series OSs from IBM.
It could be done but of course was an insider attack.

One day certain IBM
> engineer somehow managed to execute a certain job from one LPAR in
> another, completely breaking the isolation between LPARs. The mainframe
> just shutdown presumably to prevent other abuse to happen, and in modern
> terms this could be classified as locally executed DOS attack.

A B-level mandatory-access control OS is specified to prevent that. It can
be done by 3rd party software if, of course, you are able to front-end the
system calls (SVCs in their terminology). We did have source licenses for
our implementation on HP/UX and Solaris but it was not strictly necessary.

> As long as OS promotes and considers perfectly normal to run arbitrary
> software obtained from $DEITY knows where - such OS cannot provide any
> kind of meaningful security, user data being considered.

It's counter-intuitive I know, but your statement is provably false with
the right security model. Google the Bell-LaPadula model. Equally valid in
what we consider a normal computing environment and even in multi-user
unix/Linux environments.