Hi,

mick crane wrote:
> looking at those informative pages I think /dev/sg2 is the scanner
> should that not be in group scanner ?
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root           3 Jul 30 17:36 cdrom -> sr0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom    21,   2 Jul 30 17:36 sg2
> brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom    11,   0 Jul 30 17:36 sr0

/dev/sg2 might be the generic SCSI device to which /dev/sr0 is connected.

Each drive operation of sr is performed by the SCSI transaction facility
of sg (reachable from userspace by ioctl(SG_IO)).

If sg2 is an optical drive, then xorriso will accept it as SCSI-MMC drive:

  $ xorriso -no_rc -outdev /dev/sg4 -toc
  Drive type   : vendor 'HL-DT-ST' product 'BD-RE GGW-H20L' revision 'YL03'

If it is not an optical drive then the output is rather

  xorriso : FAILURE : Drive address '/dev/sg8' rejected because: not MMC
  and -drive_class 'caution' '/dev'

If you don't have rw-access permission you get in both cases

  libburn : FAILURE : Cannot access '/dev/sg8' as SG_IO CDROM drive

Have a nice day :)

Thomas