Thank you David for the reminder

I'm afraid that August sneaked up on me without me noticing. I've reposted
the FAQ and I've used some of the suggestions you've outlined in a new piece
about how to ask smart questions and read answers.

The general advice that is often given to go away and read Eric Raymond's
piece on this is not very helpful. Although it is often quoted, it is quite
hard to read and shows an attitude that is not helpful at times.

People pop up on this list from time to time with problems and the other
users here generate a storm of well-meaning advice. It is very easy to
assume that you alone have all the answers - I do it far too often - and often
the answers given don't really reflect the real underlying questions.

It is also very easy to be upset or annoyed by someone's approach and know
that you would do it better and respond accordingly. There's an xkcd cartoon
for that: https://xkcd.com/386/ is still very relevant. Someone else's
lack of relevant knowledge / inability to express themselves clearly
shouldn't necessarily be directed back at them and someone asking "stupid
questions" is not normally doing so deliberately -it's not always personal.

All the very best to all reading (and contributing to) the list, as ever,

Andrew Cater